Smoke-Out: 1st Step to a Healthier Life
Every year, 480,000 Americans get killed because of cigarette smoking and more than 41,000 of them from exposure to secondhand smoke. Smoking related illnesses, also because of non smoke-free workplaces cost $170 billion a year for direct medical care and $156 billion in lost productivity.
Nearly 7 out of 10 smokers wants to quit, but can’t manage to stick to the plan.1
Quitting isn’t a one-day project, it is a process! Along the way you shouldn’t be afraid to ask your friends and family for support. Check out the American Cancer Society for additional information and tips. Another essential aspect is the work environment, where we spend a lot of our time in. It needs to be supportive and free of temptations to ensure the success in quitting smoking. Continue reading to find out some ideas on how to generate a smoke-free workplace.
Create a Smoke-free Workplace
The American Cancer Society’s put together a Quit Tobacco Toolkit to support employers on their way to a healthier, smoke-free workplace.2
There’re two different action focal points to focus on:
Organizational Level – Create Workplace Support System
- Implement Smoking Policy and Program that addresses different needs of all parties
- Strong support of leadership department along the way to ensure program success – take on the role of a role model
- Uniform communications on company platform, intranet, newsletters, email campaign, etc.
- Create a company culture of awareness by posting educational messages in visible areas such as info board, washrooms, elevators, etc.
Individual Level – Enhance Behavior Change
- Communications to educate and promote self-awareness of employees (read more on self-awareness serie from one of our Health Coaches) i.e. through targeted campaigns, learning series, etc.
- Coaching Services to promote behavior change and support smokers on their way to quit and non-smokers on their way to sustain their smoke-free life
Great American Smoke-Out
November 16th is the day that encourages all tobacco users to choose this day to quit smoking or to make a plan to quit. Join millions of smokers, stop for the day and take the first step to a healthier life.2
HealthWell Solutions is a health management company that provides customized corporate health and wellness solutions to drive successful health outcomes. Learn more and contact us today: https://healthwellcorp.com or email@example.com
(1) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Burden of Tobacco Use in the United States. https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm.
(2) American Cancer Society. Quit Tobacco 2017. http://contentsubscription.cancer.org/quit-tobacco.html.